This public consultation is on the draft reports of the Great Barrier Reef Strategic Assessment.
Feedback and comments gained during public consultation will help inform the preparation of final strategic assessment reports for consideration by the Australian Minister for the Environment, and in 2015, the UNESCO World Heritage Committee.
There are two components to the comprehensive strategic assessment — a marine component and a coastal zone component.
The marine component is about the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority’s arrangements to protect and manage the Great Barrier Reef Region — including the Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and almost all of the World Heritage Area. The Authority is undertaking this component.
The coastal zone component is about the Queensland Government’s management, planning and development framework for the 2300 kilometre-long coastal area adjacent to the Great Barrier Reef and how its management protects the Great Barrier Reef. The Queensland Government is undertaking this component.
This public consultation is being carried out in accordance with agreements with the Australian Government Minister for the Environment developed under Part 10 of the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (Cth) (EBPC Act).
This survey’s aim is to gain views on the two components of the comprehensive strategic assessment, including proposed measures to improve future management of the Great Barrier Reef World Heritage Area and its coastal zone.
In this online survey:
- you can answer all questions or just those that relate to the topics that interest you
- you can skip to the end of the survey and submit it at any point in the survey
- you can provide any general comments at the end of the survey
- you can upload a document that will be considered as part of your submission at the end of this survey
- you can keep the online survey open for as long as you need to but you will not be able to close out of it and return to complete it later
- you will be asked questions about yourself which will help us gain general demographic information on the public consultation
- you will be asked for an email address so we can send you an email notification to confirm we have received your online survey submission
- you will be able to go back into your survey responses to change them any time before you click the submit button
- you will only be able to complete the online survey once from your computer
Consultation closes on Friday 31 January 2014 at 12 midnight (Australian Eastern Standard Time).
Feedback and comments received during consultation will inform the preparation of the final reports for the Great Barrier Reef Strategic Assessment. The final program and strategic assessment reports, as well as a report on the consultation, will be provided to the Australian Minister for the Environment for review and consideration in late 2014.